Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

Okay, okay. I know what you are thinking. Black beans and brownies? Seriously?

Yes, I am dead serious. And they are seriously delicious. I must admit, I was slightly skeptical at first, but if you didn't know any better, you'd never know there were black beans in this recipe. Even better, they are completely gluten free (hi Lauren!)! I wasn't sure they would be at first considering there is cocoa powder in them, but after further research and asking around at our local health food store, cocoa powder is gluten free!

You do not need a kitchen aid for this one, but you do need a mini food processor or a really good masher to make sure the beans are nice and smooth. You do not want beany lumps in your brownie. Now, that wouldn't not be good. Also, the original recipe called for three whole eggs and since I wanted to bring the calorie count down a little more, I used egg substitute. You could not tell the difference with all the flavor that was going on in these brownies. I also wanted to substitute the oil for unsweetened applesauce, but I must have run out because I could not find it anywhere. Oh well.

This one is super easy to whip up and is a great way to get in some extra protein and fiber. I am always looking to get more of both of those in my every day diet. And if I can get it in with a low calorie dessert, even better. This makes about 16 servings that come in at about 100 calories a serving. I know 1/16 doesn't seem like much, but these are rich and yummy and will curb any chocolate craving you might have. I didn't have more then two in one sitting, but I might be careful of having a large piece. After all, it is made with a whole can of beans. And you know what happens if you eat too many beans!

see, there really are beans in this!

make sure to rinse and drain the beans REALLY well.

making the beans into a smooth paste

incorporating the beans to the rest of the ingredients

pre- cooked

done and cooling. they smell SO good!


Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies (adapted from mealmakeovermoms.com)

One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed very well
3 large eggs ( or 3/4 cup egg whites or egg substitute)
3 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate cocoa, but you can use whatever is in your pantry)
 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
 
Place the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.  Add the eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, peppermint extract as desired, baking powder, and salt and process until smooth.  Add ¼ cup of the chips and pulse a few times until the chips are incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.


I know that you are still thinking this sounds strange, but just try it. I promise you will like it. I even think kids will like this and they will never know they are eating beans!

1 comment:

  1. These were good and sooo filling! It took me over a week to finish these guys off, must be a new record for brownies at our house!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete