Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bodega Bay Blackberry Cobbler

What better to make with fresh picked blackberries then cobbler, right? Right! I must admit, this was Ryan's idea to make and boy was I glad we decided to make this one. Although, finding the ingredients we needed in Bodega Bay was a little trickier then I thought. There are only a few stores in town and by stores, I mean super small stores with super expensive necessities. There are no major grocery stores. If you wanted to go to one, you had to drive all the way out to Sebastapol and we were not doing that. 

On our drive back from our afternoon adventure near the Russian River, we stopped at one of the little places to look for bisquick, sugar and what we thought we might need for cobbler (I had limited reception and could not call my parents to see what was in the pantry at the house we were renting). Before I go any futher, do you want to hear a funny story? Ok. Here you go. Ryan and I stopped at this cool little general store in Cazadero and I picked up a special bottle of wine made from the area. I put it in my bag, but during the windy road it must have fallen out and started rolling around on the front seat floor. When we got to the little store in Bodega Bay, I opened the truck door (not realizing were the wine was) and BOOM CRASH. Wine broke all over the ground. I was pretty mad at first, but now that I think about it, it was pretty funny. At least the ground smelled good. Good thing the store we stopped had lots of wine and I could pick up a replacement!

The next morning we found a recipe and started making the cobbler. Guess who read the recipe wrong and messed it up the first time? Me! I think it was too early or I hadn't eaten breakfast yet. If you don't know this, I get cranky when I'm hungry and then my brain doesn't work right. Good thing I hadn't added in those precious berries yet! We started over again, no biggie, and put it in the oven. We let it cool while we ate breakfast and played dominos and when it was ready to eat, it was SO good. It must have been the berries, because it was one of the best cobblers I'd ever had. And it made for the perfect breakfast dessert. Dessert is a must with every meal, right?

I only took one picture - the best one! Finished cobbler!

Quick Blackberry Cobbler

1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. melted butter
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. pancake mix (Bisquick)
2 c. black berries
1/3 c. sugar (or to taste based on sweetness of berries)
3/4 c. water

Mix first 4 ingredients and put into a greased 2-quart casserole. Mix berries, sugar and water. Pour over batter. Bake at 375°F about 45 minutes.


See, super easy and super delicious. You could make this with frozen berries from the store, but if you can pick your own or get some local fresh ones from a farmers market, I would most definitely recommend the latter. I already want to go back and pick more berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment