Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Salmon en Papillote

Salmon en Papillote - better known as salmon in paper.

I have been wanting to try cooking fish in parchment paper before (see, another good reason to have parchment paper in stock at your house!), but never got around to it. I love fish of all kinds, but just don't buy it that often and I am not sure why. It's quick and easy to cook and is a great way to get in omega-3's! And most fish has such a mild flavor that you can really play around with the seasonings and flavors that you like - dill, lemon, soy sauce, green onions, and the list goes on and on.

This time I wanted to keep it simple. I just did lemon, salt and pepper and a pinch of italian seasoning. I also wanted to have a vegetable and why dirty another pan when you can just steam them in the packet with the fish! After a quick run to the store to hunt down some fish and veggies, they had some great wild salmon and some perfect asparagus. I hate when the asparagus is too big. It tends to get too chewy and string and no body likes that.

Now, you don't necessarily need parchment paper for this. You can do it in foil. Which I know you have in your kitchen. Everyone uses foil! To get the right shape and size of your parchment or foil, just use your best judgment. You are looking for a packet to hold one serving of fish and veggies. If you are still not sure, just make it bigger then you think and most likely it will be the perfect size. Now, make sure to cut the parchment in the shape of a heart. This may sound strange, but trust me it works. It's the best for putting in all the yumminess into that steam packet! Once you put your fish and everything else in the middle of one side of the heart, fold over the other half to make it look like a sandwich. Then, from the middle of the heart, start folding over the edges to make a nice seal. Once you get to the very end of the heart, tuck a little bit of the end underneath so that nothing will escape. You're done! That easy. I was a little intimidated at first seeing as how I have never baked like this before, but it was super easy and fun. For more information on creating and using parchment for cooking, check out this site - Cooking in Parchment

ingredients. if you don't like asparagus, use whatever veggies you like!

heart shaped parchment

ready to fold up

folded up and ready to bake

20 minutes later, dinner is ready!

served with a side of brown rice. super healthy and super yummy.


Salmon en Papilotte (adapted from marthastewartliving.com)

Serves One

1/2 a lemon, squeezed over fish
Salt and pepper to taste
Italian Seasoning to taste
10 spears asparagus (or your favorite veggie - about 1 cup)
1 salmon fillet (or your favorite kind of fish) 
 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place salmon on heart shaped parchment, top with lemon juice and seasonings. Also add a slice of lemon to the top along with the veggies.

Fold parchment over contents; pleat edge to seal, forming a half-moon. Bake on a baking sheet 20 minutes. To serve, cut paper with kitchen scissors to open.


Super easy and super delicious. This was SO quick and easy, I have now made it a rule in my house to eat fish at least once a week! The best part of all, this did not smell up my house at all. And let me tell you, fish always stinks up my house when I cook it! I can't wait to try this with shrimp. Pesto shrimp to be exact.

No comments:

Post a Comment