Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

A couple of weeks ago (this tells you how far behind I have fallen on my blogging again), someone at work approached me about selling some of my cupcakes. They needed about 30 cupcakes for a family party they were planning and having tasted some of the ones I made before, they wanted to know if they could buy them from me. I couldn't believe it. Someone wanted to buy my cupcakes?

After doing some thinking and deciding on pricing (I ended up charging too little - I underestimated the price of pecans!), I decided to say "yes!". The order was in and there was to be 10 german chocolate, 10 carrot cake and 10 lemon limoncello cupcakes (recipe coming later!). I have featured the german chocolate ones before and if you are interested in making them, check them out here. So good. I wish I had one right now. 

leaning tower of cupcakes ready for delivery!

These carrot cake cupcakes are to die for good.  The first time I made these were for my Dad since this is one of his all time favorites. I also made these for Ryan's graduation party as well and everyone loved them. They are moist, slightly sweet and best of all they have raisins! There is something about having raisins in the cake that is a must. They get all plump and juicy when they cook in the oven and when you bite into the cupcake, they burst in your mouth. That and paired with the ultimate cream cheese frosting, it's heaven. I shouldn't admit this, but I would totally eat this frosting by the spoonful if I knew it wouldn't go straight to my booty. This is without a doubt the best carrot cake cupcake I have had or made and is now a recipe that will be part of my collection for a long time. I bet once you try these, you will feel the same way too. Oh and if you don't like raisins (who doesn't like raisins!?), you can leave them out. Same goes for the nuts. If you don't like walnuts, use pecans. Or visa versa. I must admit though, the nuts do give these an extra crunch next to the soft raisins. It's now time for you to get in that kitchen and try these. Seriously, run!


ready, set, bake!

look at the color on those carrots. ORANGE.

scooped and ready to bake

cooling cupcakes

frosted and ready to eat.

Carrot Cake Cupcakes (from joyofbaking.com)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 cups finely grated raw carrots
1 cup grated apple (about 2 large)
1/2 cup  pecans or walnuts,  chopped
1 cup raisins 
  
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon  vanilla extract 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven. Place paper liners in 20 muffin cups. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. In another large bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, and oil until slightly thickened. Fold in the flour mixture until incorporated. Then, fold in the grated carrots, grated apple, chopped nuts, and raisins. Evenly divide the batter between the 20 muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Pipe or with a knife or small metal spatula spread the cream cheese frosting on top of each cupcake. Cover and refrigerate the cupcakes until serving time. 

Frosting: In the bowl of your electric, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. 

 How can you not like carrot cake? My mouth is seriously filling up with saliva as I type this. Seriously. Lots of saliva.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I will definately try this recipe. These cupcakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete