Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Crockpot Beer & BBQ Chicken

I usually just don't come out and say this so early on in a post, but I am just going to go ahead and say it now. This recipe is probably one of the best crockpot recipes I have tried in a loooooong time. Seriously, that many "o's".  The best part is that it is super easy and it comes out so flavorful and juicy. Also, this meal is one that is easy on the pocketbook and feeds a crowd at the same time. My tip of the day for you is to keep an eye out for chicken breasts when they come on sale (or get them at Costco!) and this will keep the cost down even more. Oh man, I am already drooling for another one of these bad boys covered in BBQ sauce. YUM!

All you need for this is a few spices, which I am sure you already have in your pantry, chicken breasts, beer, and BBQ sauce. That's it. Combine all of the spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika), sprinkle it all over the chicken breasts and the pour in the beer and BBQ sauce. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours (pending on how hot your crockpot gets or how big your chicken breasts are). Shread chicken and serve on your favorite bread or dinner roll. I decided to make my own and will be showing you how to do this soon!

How easy is that? Just keep in mind that this does make a lot of chicken and it is great for freezing for an easy dinner in a few weeks or a month from now. My advice would be to use this within three months to keep freshness and so that it doesn't lose its flavor or yumminess in the freezer. Wow, that was two tips in one post. You are lucky.

Get in your kitchen and start making this now. I promise, you will not be sorry you tried it.


mmm firestone. use a beer that you would drink when making this.

breasts rubbed with seasonings (don't giggle)

beer + bbq sauce

shredded chicken with some of the cooking sauce added in

look at that. are you drooling? I am.

Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken (from www.howsweeteats.com)
 
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces of beer
32 ounces of barbecue sauce

Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add to crockpot, then add beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours, tossing once or twice if desired. After 8 hours, shred and add remaining barbecue sauce. Serve as desired.

 I used one of my favorite BBQ sauces from Trader Joes, but feel free to use what you like. Hot, spicy, homemade, sweet. It all will work. The extra sauce from this recipe makes a good topping to pour on the chicken or even better, whip up a batch of homemade coleslaw and use this on top of the chicken. I wish I would have done this when I made these (to make it more pork sandwich like), but it is just as good without. Next time I make these, and I will be, I will be adding coleslaw. It will be a match made in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment