Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lemon Curd - Lesson Two

As you know, I recently made lemon curd for a lemon layer cake that I felt was just too eggy for my taste. No one else seemed to notice this, but I sure did. Maybe it's because I am way too critical of the things I make, but I knew I had made a better one in the past. I attempted the lemon cake again last week for a co-workers birthday and let me tell you, it was SO much better with the new and updated lemon curd. It was the perfect balance between tangy and sweet and no eggy taste. Hallelujah!

If you are nervous about making your own curd, don't be. This one is just as easy as the last and it can be doubled, even tripled for any recipe you want to use it for. If you are going to try this one with the lemon layer cake, make sure you triple this one. Yes, it is a lot of lemon squeezing, but it's worth it. And no going to buy that bottled stuff. You'll need fresh lemon juice. It makes all the difference. Promise. Even better, this curd is used as a filling in one of my cupcakes - just wait until I give you that recipe!


just a few simple ingredients

lots of zest

sugar, lemon juice and zest simmering and eggs on the other side

tempering the eggs with the hot lemon solution

lemon curd ready to chill. make sure to cover with plastic so there is no skin!

Cake - Round Two

Tangy Lemon Curd (from browneyedbaker.com)

Zest of 2 lemons
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk

In a heavy medium saucepan, stir together the lemon zest, juice and sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolk. Whisk the lemon mixture into the eggs to temper them. Scrape the mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and let cool completely.

The lemon curd is great for cakes, cupcakes or whatever baking recipe calls for lemon curd. I've been reading on how to save this for later recipes and canning seems to be the way to go. Lemon curd on call anytime you want it? Heck yes! Have any of you ever canned curd before?

No comments:

Post a Comment