Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Zucchini Bread

It's that time of year where I want to put pumpkin in everything I make. I seriously love pumpkin. Pumpkin in oatmeal, pumpkin in brownies (one box brownies one can pumpkin - seriously SO good and low fat too!), I'll even heat up some canned pumpkin with some cinnamon and splenda for dessert. It's instant pumpkin pie with no crust! My other major pumpkin craving is at Starbucks. I super love the pumpkin spice lattes there (who doesn't), but I don't get those very often 1. because I don't drink coffee anymore and 2. it's loaded with sugar and calories. I did find a recipe for a low fat version I'm dying to try, but I have yet to find decaf espresso. If anyone knows where I can get this, please let me know. I am sure I can order it online, but who wants to pay $20 in shipping for something that's not all that expensive? Not me. Anyways, back to pumpkin zucchini bread.

As you know from previous posts, we have an organic garden at work where we are growing tons of veggies and even some fruit too.  Last time we harvested, I made zucchini muffins two ways and this time I was selected to make something for the office again- thanks Dennis! I love zucchini bread, but wanted to spice it up a bit and add pumpkin. Why not right? Pumpkin is low in fat, high in fiber and keeps whatever you make super super moist. I made four loves with the the zucchini that was harvested (it yielded 5 cups of shredded zucchini! Two were regular zucchini (recipe coming soon) and two were pumpkin zucchini. To my surprise, the pumpkin was the first to go! Not everyone likes pumpkin, but this was the clear winner in the office that morning. If you like pumpkin, try this one out. Even if you are weary of this one and not sure if you will like it, try it. The pumpkin is not too overwhelming and the zucchini gives it great texture. Just typing this is making me crave a piece. Good thing the extra loaf I have is hiding in the freezer from me.

mmm pumpkin - stock up on pumpkin while you can. last year there was a shortage and it was hard to find! Recently, I found three large cans for $7 at costco!

adding in the pumpkin

look at that zucchini!

baking loaves

baked and ready to eat!

Pumpkin Zucchini Bread (adapted from tasteofhome.com)

3 eggs, lightly beaten 
1 1/2 cups sugar 
1 cup canned pumpkin 
1 cup butter, melted or vegetable oil (or unsweetened applesauce - this is what I used)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
3 cups flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini

In a bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin, butter/oil and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until breads test done. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.

Pumpkin-y delicious. How can you not love, zucchini, cinnamon and pumpkin. Hello fall!




No comments:

Post a Comment