Monday, October 17, 2011

Sangria!

The last time I made sangria I was in college. That seems like a long time ago. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure I probably used boxed wine to make it. I know, I know. I was in college and didn't know the difference between good wine and well, boxed wine. Since then, I have learned. Bad wine tastes like feet and good wine, is well, you just know when it's good.

Since I was making guacamole, I figured the perfect thing to wash it down was sangria. How good does that sound, right? Wine + lots of fruit + orange juice + deliciousness = fabulous. I think Ryan may have even said this one tastes like a boozy hawaiian punch. At least that's what I think he said. This one is super super easy to make and you can whip it up in no time. All you do is put the wine in a pitcher (or bowl) with the fruit and other ingredients and let the flavors meld overnight. The longer it sits, the better it gets. That and you can make a small batch or easily double or triple it if you are having a lot of guests. The next time you have something mexican for dinner and want to spice it up, make a batch of this. You will love it, promise! Just be careful when you bite into the chunks of fruit the next day - wowza are they boozy. Maybe you'll like them, but they were a little much for me. I'll just stick to drinking the sangria.

booze and fruit. yum. ps. got this wine with bevmo's 5 cent sale. If you have a bevmo around you, check it out. This sale is great to stock up on wine of all kinds at a killer price! ps. excuse the pants in the background of this pic. how embarrassing.

everyone soaking. I cubed the apple and sliced the oranges. Perhaps I should have taken a photo to show you all the sliced fruit. oops.

after one night of soaking. The sample was delicious!

Red Wine Sangria (a Bobby Flay Recipe)

1 bottle red wine (preferably a Spanish wine)
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup triple sec
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 - 1/2 cup simple syrup, or more to taste (equal parts sugar and water, heated until sugar dissolves, cooled)
Orange slices
Apple slices

Mix all ingredients together and let stand in a tightly sealed container or pitcher for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator before serving. 


See, told you it was easy. I love easy recipes and this is one of them. You could even do this with white wine, if you are more of a white wine person (I love both - go figure). You could add peaches and peach schnapps with a splash of oj, or you could do apples and berries with a splash of chambord. Experiment with what fruit and flavors you like. You don't even need to add a liqueur. If you have it, try it - you don't need to go out and get it. Simple sliced fruit and wine will turn out a great cocktail!



No comments:

Post a Comment