Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grandma Patty's Lasagna

Okay, I am back. Finally. After a couple of weeks of being MIA from my blog, I have a TON of things to post. Seriously, a TON.  Let's get to it. Time for lasagna.

I bet after all that turkey from last week that you are looking for something different than the bird and a side of stuffing. Ew, I hate stuffing. Sorry, I know. I just don't like it. Soggy bread and celery, ew. Sorry, I get side tracked easily. Back to lasagna. This lasagna is not like any other lasagna. This is my grandmother's lasagna. It's meaty, it's cheesy and it's full of yumminess. It's not hard to make at all, but it does take some time and patience since you need to let the sauce simmer for a couple of hours (or longer if you can). The longer it sits, the better it gets. In fact, if you have any after dinner for leftovers, it will get better as each day goes by. If it lasts for that long. I don't know what it is about spaghetti sauce or a dish that has it in it, but I really want to know what makes them better as the days go by. Maybe it's all the flavors absorbing and expanding. Who knows. All I know it this is yummy and everyone who I've given this recipe to says they love it. It must be good then, right?

The sauce for this starts out similar to the same sauce I taught you how to make in the previous post "homemade" lasagna. Of course you could always substitute the jarred sauce for Italian canned tomatoes (san marzanos), but they are so expensive, and the jarred sauce (which ever brand you like) always work great. It's what you add to it that makes it special and super delicious. Trust me, no one will ever know and you will be a star after making this. I can never get mine to taste just like my grandmas, but it comes pretty close to what I remember hers tasting like. Hers is different in the fact that she just doesn't use ricotta and mozzarella cheese. She uses cheddar too. At first, I thought this was weird, but after I tried it - YUM. Who would have ever though that cheddar cheese in lasagna would be good! Wow, my whole mouth just filled up with saliva. Yikes. Keep in mind that if you have any extra sauce, freeze it and keep it on hand for a quick pasta dinner another week. There is so much you can do with pasta sauce. You could even use this as pizza sauce for homemade pizza. Wow, why didn't I think of that sooner? I am so doing that with the sauce in my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment