Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fig & Prosciutto Pizza with Arugula

The first time I saw this recipe, I fell in love. Drooling in love. 

Now, let me first say, this is not a Christina original. Although I wish I could take credit for this one. This is all Pioneer Woman. I love, love, love her recipes (just tried her chicken tortilla soup tonight and it was fabulous. Don't worry, I'll share that one with you soon) and even more so, I love that she is an accidental country girl. Sometimes I like to say that I am too, but I don't live in the middle of no where and there are like 100 Starbucks in the town I live in. I do own a totally awesome pair of cowboy boots though and I can rock out to Jason Aldean with the best of them. Boy is he dreamy. Don't tell Ryan I said that. I like to say, I'm an urban cowgirl. Ya, I think that fits best. Giddy up!

I've been eying this pizza and been wanting to make it for at least a month. I don't know what stopped me from making it. Maybe it's the fact that there would be lots of extra and I know I don't need eight extra pieces of pizza screaming "EAT ME NOW CHRISTINA!". Since my Dad was out of town for business this week, I thought it would be a great opportunity for my mom and I to have a mother-daughter dinner date (which we often do when my Dad is out of town). She had everything we pretty much needed, so I picked up some whole wheat pizza dough and arugula at Whole Foods and we were good to go. 

If I had the time, I would have tried to make my own pizza dough, but the dough from Whole Foods (or Trader Joes) is pretty darn good. Some day I'll make my own. That's what I say about pie dough too. My mom and I stretched out the dough and placed it on a large cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Use the biggest pan you have here so the dough does not get too thick. When the dough came out all cooked and the cheese bubbly, it looked beautiful. I could have just eaten that. Don't worry, I'll show you a picture in a minute. You will want to lick the screen, but please don't. That would be gross. Topped with sliced prosciutto, a couple of big handfuls of arugula and shaved parmesan and you are ready to have the best pizza ever. It's sweet from the fig jam, peppery from the arugula and salty from the bubbly brown cheese and prosciutto. I know the flavor combination sounds strange, but just trust me here. I wouldn't steer you wrong and neither would the Pioneer Woman.


figgy figgy fig jam! well, this was fig butter.

stretched out the dough as far as it would go

spread the dough with the figgy spread. leave a little border if you want

cover with cheese. say hi to my momma's hand.

prosciutto and shaved parmesan

look at that bubbly cheese. DROOL.

add prosciutto

finished pizza. GET IN MY BELLY.

Fig & Prosciutto Pizza with Arugula  (http://thepioneerwoman.com or her new cookbook!)

1 (14oz) package of prepared pizza dough
Non-stick spray
4 tablespoons fig spread or jam (I used fig butter from Trader Joes)
12 ounces, mozzarella, sliced thin (use fresh if you can find it, but any mozzarella will work)
6 ounces, thinly sliced prosciutto
2 large hand fulls washed and rinsed arugula
1/2 cup Shaved Parmesan

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Roll out the pizza dough as thinly as possible. Place on a large baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.  Spread fig spread (or jam or butter) all over the surface of the dough. Lay slices of mozzarella all over the surface. Sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. 

Remove from oven and immediately lay prosciutto over hot pizza. Just before serving, sprinkle on arugula and Parmesan shavings. Cut, serve and enjoy!


This was only my second pizza making experience and boy am I glad it turned out great. Next time, I think it will be even better with homemade dough and a big glass of red wine. Maybe two glasses. That sounds perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment