Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Reubens

I have a soft spot in my heart for a really really good sandwich. I guess that is why I find it hard to find one as good as the ultimate sandwich spot down where I went to college - High Street Deli in San Luis Obispo, California. I don't know what it is about their sandwiches, but holy crap are they delicious. Yes, I said holy crap. They are that good! I doesn't take much to make a good sandwich and they just seem to have it down right. You pick all of the ingredients you want on it and they make it fresh for you right there - the sandwiches are HUGE! Anytime I go back to visit for the weekend (and pretend like I am in college again), I have to get my fix. If you are ever in the area, go and check it out. You will not regret it. The sad part is, I have still yet to find a place as good as that, but maybe that's just because I am biased.  Or maybe it's just because it's that good. Oh man, I am going to dream about sandwiches tonight. Darn it.

As much as I love sandwiches and as much as I love corned beef, I never thought to put the two together. Silly, I know. Ryan mentioned making them, so I knew we had to try them out! Can you believe that I had never had one before?! I knew they wouldn't be that difficult to make, but let me tell you, picking out the bread was a challenge. Who knew there were so many varieties of rye bread. I sure didn't. Jewish, dark, dill, extra sour. Holy moly! The people at the grocery store probably thought I was crazy because I was smelling all the loaves trying to figure out the best one. Crazy lady on isle three! It took me a good five minutes to decide, but I finally went with the extra sour New York style rye. The dill rye smelled really good, but I was not so sure Ryan would be a fan of the dill. So, New York style it was.

The next day for dinner, we got everything ready. I whipped up some russian dressing (I liked lots of this on my sandwich! You can use 1000 island if you don't want to make your own.), grated some swiss cheese, squeezed out the sauerkraut (you don't want a soggy sandwich) and sliced up the left over meat. Assemble, brown on each side and enjoy! The dressing added this yummy kick from the horseradish and the sauerkraut really cut through the richness of the meat. I can't really explain how yummy it was, so you'll just have to make it yourself. We also served ours with baked bbq kettle chips and a pickle. I love me a good dill pickle. In fact, if you let me, I'd probably just eat a whole jar for dinner. Mild pickle obsession? I think so! And no I am not like Snooki - I don't drink pickle juice. I am not that crazy. I bet a good potato salad or coleslaw would have been excellent with meal too. Super yummy in the tummy. This sandwich is not the healthiest, but boy is it worth the extra 30 minutes on the treadmill. I think I might just go workout now so I can have one tomorrow!

ingredients for homemade russian dressing

everyone in the pool

mixed together

there is Ryan's hand. Say hi to Ryan!

sauce on both sides, then cheese, then meat, then sauerkraut then cheese then other piece of bread on top.

grilling up the sandwiches.

toasty delicious

close up!

dinner is served!

Homemade Reubens (from http://simplyrecipes.com)

Sandwich ingredients (add as much of each as you like):
butter, softened
rye bread  
swiss cheese
corned beef brisket, thinly sliced
sauerkraut
russian Dressing

Russian Dressing (makes about 1/2 cup dressing):
1/3 cup mayonnaise  (I used olive oil mayo)
1 1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (I used creamy horseradish)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Butter one side of the sliced bread, and place the  buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top with some of the russian dressing (aas much or as little as you like), grated (or a slice) of Swiss cheese, and then top with sliced corned beef. Using paper towels, squeeze out excess moisture from the sauerkraut. There is quite a bit of liquid so squeeze as much as you can. Top the meat with the sauerkraut and and top with additional swiss cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices with russian dressing and butter the side facing out. Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Cook the sandwich on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwich over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwich in half before serving.


Do you still have corned beef left over from this weekends festivities? If so, get in your kitchen and make yourself this sandwich!




No comments:

Post a Comment