Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Slow Cooker Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I know I'm a few days late, but I didn't want to post my recipes without trying them for you first. That just doesn't seem right, especially since I want you to try them too. And for you to try them and it be bad, I would feel awful! The good news is, the menu I planned for St. Patty's Day turned out pretty darn good. Although, I know if I would have shared it with you before I tried it, none of the recipes would have turned out. That's what I call kitchen karma. It's bad news bears.

It was a rainy and dreary weekend here in Northern California, so I wanted to plan a fun festive menu since Ryan and I would probably be staying in for the evening. Plus, it gave me a great opportunity to try out some new recipes! Are you ready...here we go!

St. Patrick's Day Menu 

Starters

Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese with Irish Stout
Apple Slices
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Main Course

Slow Cooker Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage 
 Carrots and Red Potatoes
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
Robert Hall Sauvignon Blanc 

Dessert

Bailey's Cheesecake Tart with an Irish Whiskey Caramel  

Next Day Leftovers

Homemade Reubens
Baked BBQ Kettle Chips
Dill Pickles


Are you drooling yet? I am and I already had all of this! I know that most people only have corned beef and cabbage once a year (some people even call it corned beef and cabbage day), but it is something I like to make at least a couple of times, if I can find it. If it isn't for the beef, it's for the cabbage. I think my sister would agree! There is just something about the flavor the cabbage takes on from the meat and spices. I could probably eat two heads of cabbage just like that, but you wouldn't want to be around me for a couple of days. Just saying. Was that too much information? Sorry. Deal with it. Just don't try to replicate it with just pickling spices and cabbage. Ya, I tried that a few years ago and it was just awful. Not the same. So gross.

Now, you can do your corned beef on the stove top, and most people do, but I think the slow cooker is the way to go. Drop everything in and let it do its thing. It doesn't get easier than that! In the past, I've always thrown in the corned beef and seasonings, potatoes and carrots and just simply covered it with water. That is a great way to do it, but this year, I wanted to step it up a notch - add some more flavor and really embrace the Irish girl that is in me (thanks momma!). So, instead of adding all water, I added in a bottle of Guinness. I usually have this on hand anyways because Ryan loves it so much. I do too, but he definitely loves it more than I do. I added a little bit of water as well, but I really like the flavor the Guinness gave to everything. I was a little worried the potatoes would be overpowered with the beer, but it was just perfect. The potatoes were tender, not mushy and full of corned beefy deliciousness. I added the cabbage about two hours before it was due to be done and it was cooked just right. Again, not too mushy and just perfect. Mmm, cabbage.

Next time you want corned beef (remember, it's not just for the 17th of March!), try out this recipe. Just make sure you save a few slices to make homemade reubens the next day. I had never had one (yes, crazy, I know) and boy was it weirdly delicious. Just wait til I show you how we made those. Yummy in the tummy.


mmmm corned beefy

guinness = love

carrots and potatoes (with skin on!) on the bottom and corned beef and spices on top.

I used corned beef from trader joes. great flavor and really lean!

adding in the Guinness

Cover with Guinness and just enough water to come to the top.

cover and cook for 8-9 hours

with two hours left, add in cabbage

served with whole grain dijon mustard, yum!



Slow Cooker Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage 

3-4 pound corned beef (mine was closer to 4 pounds)
2 heads of cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
4-6 medium red potatoes, cut into large pieces 
5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 bottle Guinness (you can use the kind in the can too, just one bottle or can of Guinness will do)
Enough water to cover veggies and meat (about 3-4 cups depending on your slow cooker)

Add chopped potatoes and carrots to the bottom of your slow cooker. Add meat (including spices and juice to the top of the veggies and then add in the Guinness over the top. Add enough water to barley cover the top of the meat. Cover and cook for about 6 -7 hours. After that time, add in the wedged cabbage and cook for two more hours. Remove meat, slice and serve with veggies and whole grain dijon mustard!


Make sure to save some of the corned beef for left overs (if you can resist eating it all) to make corned beef and hash or reubens! Don't worry. I'll be showing just how to make the rest of the items on our St. Patty's Day menu. The reubens are weirdly delicious and the baileys cheesecake tart is boozy woozy and totally addictive.



No comments:

Post a Comment