Sunday, April 8, 2012

Italian Easter Cookies

First of all - HAPPY EASTER everyone! Now, I know that lent is over and that I can officially have chocolate again, so you may be asking, why are you not sharing something ooberly chocolate with us today? Well, these cookies have a special place in my heart. I can't remember the first time I made these, but I do know that my sister and I try to make these every year - whether it be for Easter or any holiday. There is just something about these little Italian cookies. I can't explain it. Maybe it's the almond. I do have mild obsession with almond flavored things. I could eat a whole stick of marzipan, no problem. I also love amaretto. The first time I ever ordered it at a bar was back in college. The bartender looked at me and asked "what are you, 80 years old?'. I told him I was at heart and to serve it on the rocks. No I am not 80, but I do enjoy a nice Italian liqueur. I am an old lady at heart though.

Okay, back to cookies. These cookies are perfect for any holiday, but always scream Easter to me. Those bright sprinkles make everything better! That and I am almost willing to bet you have everything you need in your pantry and fridge to make these by dinner time.  They are super easy to whip up and shape. They are even more fun to dunk them in almond icing. I would love to roll around in that stuff. See, I told you I was obsessed with almond things. These cookies bake up in no time, but just make sure that they are completely cooled before you go dunking them in the icing. If you don't, all the icing will slide off and the Easter bunny will be sad. He likes lots of gooey frosting. Once they are done, you can eat them right away, or let them set for about an hour to make sure the frosting doesn't smoosh when you are transporting them. Just be warned, you won't be able to eat just one. I know I can't. This recipe makes quite a few cookies, so if they all don't get gobbled up, you can keep them in the freezer and pull them out a few hours before you want to serve them. They even ship great too if you want to send a little special surprise to someone. Everyone loves cookies in the mail from the Easter bunny.


ingredients

add in eggs one at a time

almond extract!

dough

I did some in rings and some in balls. For rings, roll into ball, then into a long snake like piece of dough, then pinch ends together to form a ring!

while cookies are baking, make the icing.

cookies are baking!

once cookies are cooled, dunk in icing.

sprinkles!

rings!

Italian Easter Cookies (www.allrecipes.com)

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
colored sprinkles for decorating

For Icing:
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons almond extract
5 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract, 1/4 cup milk and oil. Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the wet mixture. Roll dough into 1 inch balls or shape into rings (see picture above).

Bake for 5 minutes on the bottom shelf and 5 minutes on the top shelf of the preheated oven, until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown. When cookies are cool, dip them into the icing. 
 
To make the icing, cream together the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3 teaspoon almond extracts. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk, one tablespoon at a time, adding more as needed for desired consistency.

 

Happy Easter everyone! I sure hope that you are spending time with your family and loved ones and that the Easter Bunny is treating you well today - and that he brought you lots of treats! In my family he brings eggs filled with lotto scratchers. Not sure when that started, but it's lots of fun sitting around the kitchen table scratching them all to see if we hit the jackpot. It hasn't happened yet though. Someday!




4 comments:

  1. I understand this is a long time after you posted but thank you for posting it. I love these cookies and grew up eating these also at Easter (and sometimes Christmas). Kristine Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were amazin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty but Icing made way too much and came out more like frosting. I tried thinning with more milk which looked great but wouldn't dry or harden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these. They are delicious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete