Sunday, April 22, 2012

Salted Hot Fudge Sauce

This is going to be short and sweet. Or I should say short, salty and sweet.

I had never made hot fudge sauce before this and now that I have, I am not quite sure why I never did. It was so quick and easy - they perfect thing to have in the fridge and ready to heat up to make the captain a hot fudge sundae. Ya, I bet he'd like that. If he gives me the cherry on top, I'll make him one. That's a fair deal right? I think so.

All you need for this fudgy deliciousness is a few ingredients. All of which I am willing to bet you have in your kitchen - unsweetened chocolate, butter, salt, vanilla, corn syrup and few other basic items. Melt, boil, boil, boil and you have some delicious sauce to accompany any ice cream. Because this has a very prominent saltiness, it would best be paired with a sweet ice cream. Well, ice cream is always sweet, but you know what I mean. This fudge is totally amazing with the brown butter ice cream I recently made. I totally dipped the freshly churned ice cream into the hot sauce. I was in heaven. So sweet. So salty. So so delicious! Just don't go taking a huge spoonful of hot fudge straight from the pan. You will be sorry. Hot lava fudge on your tongue is not a good thing and might kind of hurt. Just saying. And no, I did not do that (in case you were wondering).

no, there is no pepper in this fudge

corn syrup and sugar

adding in the melted chocolate and butter to the boiling water

whisking, whisking, whisking

boiling sauce. resist the urge to lick the spoon.

Salted Hot Fudge Sauce (slightly adapted from www.alwayswithbutter.blogspot.com)

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
3 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave on low power. Cook for a minute, stirring after every minute cooked. Cook until melted (this should take a couple of minutes).

In a small sauce pan bring the water to a boil over medium heat, then whisk in the butter and melted chocolate.  Whisk in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Let mixture come to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Serve while warm.


This hot fudge sauce can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. When you are ready to use, just heat up on the stove or microwave and pour over ice cream or whatever you like. Just be careful not to eat it all straight from the jar! It's addictive sweet & salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment