Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lemon & Garlic Chicken

This is seriously the easiest and fastest chicken recipe I've made in a long time. Not to mention, it is also one of the most flavorful. I am always looking for new ways to cook chicken breast because, let's be real, chicken breast is often rather dull. It's full of protein and low in calories, but the same old chicken recipes get old quick. You can only try so many ways of making it before you want to give it up for awhile. This recipe will change your mind.

I must admit, I made this chicken recipe awhile ago. I often get a little crazy with trying out so many things that I often get behind on my recipes and posting about them. Don't worry though, I didn't forget about this one. It's too good not to share! Plus, I bet you have most of what you need already in your kitchen - chicken, white wine, lemons, olive oil, and herbs. The one thing I will tell you is that this calls for boneless, skin on, chicken breast. I must have looked everywhere for boneless, skin on chicken breast, but I was totally out of luck. The only ones I could find were boneless skinless or bone in with the skin on. Talk about frustrating. I started looking at videos online to figure out how to de-bone a chicken breast and figured it couldn't be so hard.  I was getting desperate thinking I would have to do it myself! I watched a few and it didn't look so bad. The good news is that I never even had to go there. I went to Whole Foods to pick up a few things, including chicken breast, and the nice meat man told me that he'd de-bone whatever I picked out - and at no charge. SCORE! I knew I loved Whole Foods for a reason. I am sure any meat counter would do this, so don't be afraid to ask!

Once the chicken is ready, heat up the oil, wine, garlic and herbs and then pour over the chicken in a large baking pan. Roll the chicken breast around to coat and that's it! See how easy. Bake for about 30 minutes (more or less depending on the size) and you have a totally moist and flavorful chicken dish ready. I of course peeled off the skin prior to eating (if you like the skin, have at it) but let me tell you, this was the moistest (is that even a word??) chicken I had in a long time. I don't know if it was the skin or the wine or the olive oil, but it was perfect. Served with a big salad and a side of couscous, it was the perfect meal. The only thing it needed was a nice glass of white vino to go with it!

seghesio wine is the best. I am just not saying that because a seghesio is my boss.

where all the flavor comes from

chicken before. I forgot to put the lemon wedges in. oops.

chicken after! boy does this smell delish while it's cooking!

a little blurry, but so yummy!
Lemon & Garlic Chicken Breasts (an Ina Garten recipe)

1/4 cup good olive oil
3 tablespoons minced garlic (9 cloves)
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute but don't allow the garlic to turn brown. Off the heat, add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish.

Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Brush the chicken breasts with some of the lemon and olive oil mixture and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned. If the chicken isn't browned enough, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the pan juices. 


Don't let new chicken recipes scare you. I promise this one is quick, easy and so delish your whole family will love it! This one is easy enough for a weeknight dinner or elegant enough for a dinner party. Either way, you will be glad you made it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment