Monday, June 11, 2012

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

Three ingredient jam - raspberries, chia seeds and honey. That's it. Could it be easier? Not really.

I know what you are already thinking - chia seeds, is she crazy? No I am not crazy and yes, chia seeds. These are the same exact seeds you used to grow your chia pets. Do you even remember those? Cha Cha Cha Chia! I had one when I was a little girl. I am pretty sure it was a bear.  Soak, spread seeds and watch it grow! Don't worry though, these seeds won't made you grow a fro or make you furry like a chia pet. I have been eating them for about six months and I have yet to look like a chia pet. Although, the captain may beg to differ. Have you seen my hair in the morning? Whoa. It's a scary sight.

Although chia seeds may sound strange, they are great for you - they are full of fiber, antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids. Who would have ever thought that such a small seed would have all that! The other benefit to them is that when they are added to water (milk, juice or yogurt) they form a gel. Some people say this is great for those watching their waist line since it keeps you fuller, longer. I've tried mixing them in water and drinking them, but it's kinda gross. It's amost like drinking jello. Plain, water jello. Ick. I do enjoy them sprinkled on my yogurt though. Makes for a nice crunch. I swear I am not crazy. You've got to try it! Perhaps I'll make you a chia believer. Just maybe.

This jam is quick and easy and because there are already seeds from the raspberries, most people won't even notice the chia seeds. If I can fool the captain, I bet you can fool someone too! It's tart, a tad sweet from the honey and the perfect jammy consistency. It's perfect on toast or on a PB&J or whatever you like jammy jam on. I bet this would even be good as strawberry jam too. Now that sounds good!

three ingredients.

chia seeds on top of the berries

mixed and ready to set up in the fridge

sunday morning breakfast with the captain! load up that jam!

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
3 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons water

Microwave the raspberries in a small bowl for 2-3 minutes, then crush them with a fork. Add the chia seeds, honey and water and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a jar, put the lid on, and refrigerate for at least an hour. Enjoy!


This jam will last you about up to a week in the fridge. That is if it lasts that long (and you don't eat it all with a spoon!).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment