Friday, July 27, 2012

Baked Garlic Fries

If you have ever been to AT&T Park, you know that garlic fries are a must have. It's just one of those things that once you have them, you will be totally addicted. Fries + loads of chopped garlic + parsley. It seems so simple, but it's SO good. Especially when they are fresh out of the frier. Oh wow, my mouth is totally filling up with saliva. I may have just drooled on my keyboard. Oops.

Although the garlic fries are essential while cheering on the Giants, they are probably not the healthiest food choice at the park. I know what you are thinking. Who goes to the ball park to eat healthy? I know, I know, especially as I am the girl carrying around a big hotdog. Who am I to say anything.

HOT DOG

See, told you I walk around with big hot dog. That sounds weird. Okay, back to garlic fries. I do admit that once in awhile, I get the garlic fries and wonder, could I make these at home? I am not about to start heating up a huge pot of oil to fry my own. Me + oil do not go together. I am sure I could make some mean fries, but a pot of oil just screams dangerous to me. Plus, one of my favorite things to do is take some of my favorite foods and try to make them  better and healthier. Why not try with these, right?

Let me just say, these taste JUST LIKE THE GARLIC FRIES AT AT&T PARK! Sorry for the all caps, but it's a must to express how good these are. I was shocked at how crunchy, garlicky and delicious they were. All you have to do is cut the fries, toss in a little olive oil and bake at 450 for 45 minutes (maybe a little more depending on your oven) and then toss with a dash more olive oil, chopped garlic and the parsley. That's it. Can I tell you again how good these are? I don't think I told you enough. These fries are amazing. Even better, they are only 245 calories per serving (fries at the park are over 500!). Say bye bye to the deep frier.

just a few ingredients

if you cut your potatoes early, soak in water so they don't turn brown. Just make sure to dry them really well before you coat with olive oil.

coat with olive oil and don't forget the salt and pepper

post bake

toss with garlic and parsley.


Baked Garlic Fries (www.epicurious.com)

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, cut lengthwise into 3 x 1/3 x 1/3-inch batons
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Toss potatoes with 2 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. 

Roast the potatoes, turning occasionally, until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Increase heat to 500°F. Continue roasting until fries are deep brown in spots, about 5 more minutes. Whisk remaining 1/2 tablespoons oil, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl. Add hot fries, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.




GO GIANTS! Let's eat some garlic fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment