Thursday, July 26, 2012

Green Chili Chicken Burgers

Are you looking for a fresh and new twist on burgers? Well, you came to the right place. Burgers are all the rage these days with different flavors and toppings, but everyone is looking for a lower fat and lower calorie option. Right? At least I am. Turkey burgers are a great option, but I bet you didn't know that most places don't use ground turkey breast. In fact, you might as well just eat a regular burger since the dark turkey meat is just as high in fat and calories. Shocking, right? I thought so when I found that out. Scary. Why didn't you tell me?

Turkey is not the only white meat you can use in a burger though. Ground chicken is also becoming quite popular and let me say, when I made these totally awesome burgers, it was the first time I ever had it. Seriously. Most grocery stores will carry ground chicken (it will either be next to the ground turkey or it may even be at the meat counter), but if you can't find it, feel free to use lean ground turkey to make these bad boys. These burgers are totally flavorful and like fiesta in your mouth. Ole! Even better, they are a cinch to make and you can have them ready in to time. All the big time flavor in these burgers comes from green chilies, garlic, cumin and the all important, cheese. Yes, there is cheese in the burger! Have I hooked you into trying these yet? I sure hope so. These are a must make.

Once the burgers are cooked, you can eat them wrapped in lettuce (like I did) or put it on a bun. Don't forget to top it with lots of sliced avocados, fresh tomatoes, lettuce and a fresh green chili sauce (this is detailed in the recipe below. Thank you Bobby Flay!). These burgers are juicy, full of flavor and totally satisfying. You may just never go back to real burgers again!

how could these not be good?

I did not have onion powder, so I added in about 1/4 cup grated onion.

everything mixed in. I swapped mont jack for pepper jack cheese, but use whatever cheese you like.

divide into four patties

cook for a few minutes on each side or until fully cooked

served with homemade baked garlic fries. mmm!

Green Chili Chicken Burgers (slightly adapted from www.howsweeteats.com)

1 pound ground chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 cup grated onion
2 (4 ounce) cans of diced green chilis
2.5 ounces of pepper jack cheese, cut into tiny cubes + more for topping
1/2 tablespoon honey
juice of half a lime

Preheat your grill or heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. In a bowl, combine chicken, oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, cumin, garlic, cheese cubes and 1/2 a can of green chilis. Mix until just combined, then divide into four sections and form into four patties. Place on grill or skillet and cook on each side until golden and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Once you flip the burgers, add additional cheese on top to melt (optional).

While the burgers are cooking, toast buns if desired and combine remaining green chilis in a bowl with honey, lime juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper (green chili sauce here adapted from bobby flay). When ready to serve, spoon green chilis on top of cheeseburgers and eat!


These were so SO good that I can't wait to make them again. In fact, I want to try to make one Italian style. I'm thinking chopped tomatoes (maybe sundried), motzz cheese, fresh basil, onion, garlic. YUM. I am already drooling.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment