Thursday, July 5, 2012

Roasted Cherry Brownies

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack. Finally. Things have been so hectic lately (from moving, to traveling on the weekend, to work) that I just haven't been able to find the time or energy to blog. Sad, I know. Good thing it was only temporary though, because I have a ton of great new recipes to share with you. Are you ready? Let's do this!

Cherry + brownies = love. Need I say more? I have a mild serious obsession with cherries. I am not sure where or when it started, but over the past few years, I have fallen deeply and madly in love with cherries. I just wish they were more lady like to eat. Spitting out the seeds is not sexy, but you do what you gotta do to eat such a delicious little fruit. The inspiration for these brownies came when I found out that the captain's friend Andrew had a cherry farm. Well not him, but his family does. You know what I mean. Andrew was sweet enough to bring us a couple of bags of cherries and let me just say, THOSE WERE THE BEST CHERRIES EVER. I had to do everything I could to stop my whole family from eating them. Let's be real, I had to stop myself from eating them all. I tried to tell you I had a cherry obsession. Did you not believe me? Okay, back to brownies. After eating what seems like almost the whole bag, I had a few handfuls left and wanted to make the captain something extra special, but portable, for his drive up to Oregon. Remember when I told you I always bring snacks and/or treats on trips? This is no exception - even if I wasn't joining him. Must fuel the captain! 

These brownies are super easy to make and are a great twist on your normal chocolatey ooey gooey brownie. If you do not have a cherry pitter, not to fret, you can cut into them and pick the pit out, but just be careful. Don't try to slice off your thumb. If you are into cherries as much as I am, then it might be worth it to pick up a cherry pittter. I ordered this one off Amazon. Once all the cherries are pitted, toss with sugar and roast in the oven. I know roasting cherries sounds strange, but just go with me here. While they are roasting (keep a close eye on them!), mix up the batter. When the cherries are done, pour them into the batter (juice and all), gently mix and pour into a lined pan. In under 35 minutes, you have a delicious cherry brownie waiting for you to dig into to.  This brownie is the perfect bite of warm cherry and dark chocolate - all with not being overly sweet. Now that's my kind of brownie. What are you waiting for - grab a bag of cherries and get baking!

no need for a mixer here. just a big bowl!

pitting cherries.

tossed with sugar and about to bake. sorry I forgot to take a post roast photo. I was clearly too cherry happy.

mix in the eggy egg

fold in the roasted cherries - don't forget the juices!

I love instagram
 Roasted Cherry Brownies (slightly adapted from http://annies-eats.com)

2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
1¼ cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into quarters
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 450˚ F.  Combine the cherries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small roasting pan and toss well to combine.  Roast the cherries for 10 minutes, or until they begin to release their juices.  Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350˚ F.

Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
In a heatproof bowl melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, stirring occasionally until smooth.  Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.  Let cool for several minutes and then combine the eggs, remaining sugar, vanilla and salt into the melted chocolate. Whisk until combined, about 15 seconds.  Then stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until just combined and gently fold in the roasted cherries.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread with a spatula to make an even layer.  Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, about 35 minutes.  Let  brownies cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.


These brownies are great right after they are made and will be good for a few days in an airtight container. That is if they even last that long. Also, if you make a big batch or you are just making these for one or two people, you can individually wrap the brownies and freeze for up to a month or two. Just pop out of the freezer and heat up for  few seconds -just like it's fresh out of the oven. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment