Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Skinny Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons

Coconut + chocolate = love. Well, at least I think so. I'm a total sucker for mounds bars, but really can't tell you the last time I ate one. My guess is at least 10 years. Seriously. That's not to say I haven't had other coconuty (is this even a word?) chocolate things though. The next best thing may be a chocolate coconut Luna Bar. Have you ever had one? If not, go get one and eat it now. Seriously delicious. Just don't buy more then one at a time because you may not be able to stop. Just saying.

The captain was going up to see his dad (hiiii Dean!) for Father's Day and to get away for the week - I knew I could not send him up there without a little special Father's Day treat for Dean. Dean loves coconut and chocolate and I wanted to give him something that would fill his craving, but also something that would not be through the calorie roof. Did you know that most chocolate dipped coconut macaroons are pushing almost 300 calories for just one? It's totally worth it because they are sooooo delicious, but I knew there had to be a slightly better recipe out there. And one that wasn't loaded with all kinds of strange preservative-y stuff.

After doing hours of research, I finally found the perfect one on one of my favorite blogs, SkinnyTaste. I don't know why I didn't think to look there earlier, but I am glad I remembered to do so. All of the recipes I've made from this blog have been fabulous so I knew I couldn't go wrong with trying these macaroons. These little sweet treats are moist, chewy and so easy to make. Even better, they are gluten free and just about 130 calories a macaroon. Totally satisfying and totally the perfect little treat. 

missing here - dark chocolate. I must have been eating it out of the bag.

mix everything and stir over the heat for 15 minutes (give or take)

scoop out on parchment paper or silpat (if you have it) - makes about 20

bake until golden brown

take a pool break while they are cooling

then drizzle with chocolate - or eat them plain. Chocolate makes everything better though.

Skinny Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons (www.skinnytaste.com)

3/4 cup (5 large) egg whites
2/3 cup granulated sugar
10 oz sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, sugar and coconut flakes and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until all the ingredients combine together, about 12-15 minutes. The mixture should be sticky and moist, not dry. Remove from heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Set aside on a dish and let it cool in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 300°. Using a tablespoon, scoop tightly packed two tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper. Bake 27-30 minutes or until golden.

Let cool and then drizzle melted dark chocolate over the tops, or leave plain. ENJOY! 


These macaroons would be great on their own or even with some sliced almonds baked right in for some extra crunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment