Thursday, August 2, 2012

Upside Down Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

Upside down key lime pie cupcakes. Yes, you heard me right. And no, this is not a key lime pie turned upside down and cut to the size of a cupcake. I know that sounds strange, but I seriously had someone say that when I tried to describe this cupcake. Strange, I know.

I have only done a couple of fruity cupcakes (I really need to get more of these into my cupcake menu) and wanted to do something special and tangy for summertime. In fact, I made these especially for 4th of July! Nothing screams summer holiday than a fresh and fruity pie. At least that's how I feel. Now, let me warn you, I have never eaten key lime pie before. Shocking, I know. It's one of those things that really hasn't come up or been on a menu in quite sometime. I've always wanted to try it, just never got around to it. Another reason why I just had to make these bad boys. Pie + cupcake + frosting = total amazingness.

The first and most important ingredient to this cupcake is key lime juice. Don't go thinking that you need to squeeze 1,000 tiny key limes to get all the juice you need. You don't. I guess you could, but then you'd be crazy. Plus, they might be kind of hard to find. I was not able to find them anywhere in town! Can you believe it? So, the next best thing was key lime juice, already squeezed. I really like to use fresh squeezed whenever I can, but that was really not an option here. Not knowing where to find it (have you ever seen it at the store, I haven't. But then again, it's not like I buy key lime juice on a regular basis), I went to three different stores before a really nice lady who was shopping told me to go to BevMo. Seriously? She was right - they have a huge bottle for just a few bucks. I guess it makes sense seeing as how it's used in cocktails. Who knew BevMo would be the magical place for key lime juice. Now I know and now you know.

These cupcakes are a total must make. The key lime cupcake is dense, moist, sweet and so key limey. To make it even better it's topped with a graham cracker cream cheese frosting. See where the upside down concept comes into play now? These were a total hit at the 4th of July party the captain and I went to and these will definitely be on my cupcake menu someday. Everyone needs a little pucker in their life. Don't you agree?

ingredients

adding the key lime juice in

pre-bake

perfectly baked!

did you know you can get crumbs like this? I didn't! If you can't find these (they are usually in the baking isle), you can just ground up regular graham crackers.

look at that delicious frosting

how cute are these cupcakes?!

Upside Down Key Lime Pie Cupcakes (http://www.cupcakeproject.com)

Makes about 12-18 cupcakes

1 1/2  cups cake flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup key lime juice

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside. Using a mixer (hand or stand) cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy - about five minutes. Mix eggs into butter/sugar, one at a time. Mix in sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice into wet ingredients.
Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Divide evenly between cupcake liners.  Note:  The batter will be very liquidy.  This is ok. 

Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched lightly. Begin to check the cupcakes for doneness at about 20 minutes.  The center will still be wet.  It solidifies as it cools.

Graham Cracker Frosting Recipe

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups finely crushed graham crackers

In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Mix in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time.  Note: You can add more if you prefer a stiffer consistency. Mix in vanilla extract. and fold in graham crackers. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.

The perfect summer cupcake - a little sweet, a little tangy, and best of all, totally delicious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment