Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vacation - Part One

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted something. Or at least it feels like a really long time. Wondering where I've been? Vacation! Even better, for a two whole weeks! I'll be the first to say I am always nervous to go on vacation for fear that something will happen at work while I am gone (it never does though). I'm getting better with that though. Usually I will log in to my email and check on things, but this time, I was a good girl and didn't check a single thing. Promise! Every time I go on vacation with the captain, I always tell him I won't check it - and then I do. And then I get stressed out. That's not the point of vacation. Vacation is to relax and have fun. Which is exactly what we did. Let me tell you about the first part of the journey. Don't worry, more recipes are coming your way, but I must tell you about our adventures first!

The first two days of vacation were spent with my wonderful sister, Jessica. I don't think I've told you all, but she is recently engaged! I am so so so happy for her and so proud to be her maid of honor. The captain and I went to the Giants game (the best part about night games with him are sharing a Ghirardelli hot cocoa, a huge chocolate chip cookie and a giants win!) on Thursday and he was sweet enough to drop me off in Berkeley on the way home to spend some time with my sis. The next morning went to a totally amazing breakfast at Cafe M (if you are close to the Berkeley area, you must go!) and then we took BART into the city for some wedding dress shopping! She must have tried on at least eight dresses - all of which were beautiful. I am sorry, but I can not show you the dresses. They were pretty though! I was so happy to be there with her and I can't wait until she can come shopping with me some day. After a long afternoon of dress shopping and a little extra us shopping, we needed to fuel ourselves with some deliciousness at the Nordstrom Cafe in Union Square. Their french onion soup was amazing! We headed back to Berkeley where we then turned right back around to go to the city with the family for Italian Heritage Night at AT&T Park. Giants games with the fam are the best. Especially when I can get my Dad to fist pump when the song comes on. If you've ever gone to a Giants game, you know what I'm talking about.

splurged on a decaf soy latte. mmm.

eggs milan! tomato, green onion, mushrooms, pesto and cheeeeeese. All on top of thinly sliced and golden potatoes 

french onion soup. do I need to say more?

we also ordered bruschetta. the balsamic reduction was killer.

Italian heritage night dancers!

A few days after sister time...

The first week of the captain and I's two week adventure started out with a trip to Oregon to do one night of camping near Crater Lake and then spend a couple of days with his Dad and Barb. We hit the road early Monday morning with Ryan's friend Scott and made the long trek up to Oregon. We made a few stops for lunch and essentials and before we knew it, we were at Crater Lake. The captain took a couple photos of me sleeping on the way up, but I won't show you those. I can't believe he took them! Sneaky guy.  Here we are at Crater Lake (thanks for the photo Scott!)

love this picture of us.
Did you know that Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States? I didn't. But now you do! I'd be willing to bet they'll ask that on Jeopardy some day. After checking out the lake, we headed over to Diamond Lake for a night of camping. It was quite, beautiful and our camping spot was right on the lake! Here is the view from our tent in the morning. It was chilly, but the lake was so beautiful with the fog just hanging over the water. It almost didn't look real.

our home away from home. at least for one night.

view from the tent. such a beautiful morning at Diamond Lake, Oregon.

After a night of camping, it was three more hours to Dean and Barb's. I'm sure I slept again and I'm sure the captain has another picture. Sorry honey - you wore me out! We had a great time visiting with them both and we even met up with our awesome DMB fans and friends Wayne and Cindy for dinner one night. It was great to see them - it had been too long. I wish I had taken a picture at dinner. Guess I was too excited to see everyone! Oh, I must not forget Barb's totally awesome peach coffee cake with fresh and juicy peaches from Washington. Boy was it delicious and the perfect morning treat to enjoy on the deck (I love this morning tradition they have). I need the recipe, Barb! Barb makes all kinds of delicious things when we come up! The second night we were there, she made this fab Texas lasagna casserole (I think that's what it was called.) and I whipped up a batch of my roasted cherry brownies, as per Dean's request. You should have seen all the boys around the bowl when I was done. They all wanted a lick! Silly boys.

pit stop on the way to Sister, OR for a quick scenic sammich break. such a beautiful shot of the Sisters Mountain Range.

the peach coffee cake! Don't lick the screen.

here are the boys licking away.
 
Oh, and I totally forgot to tell you one of the best parts - my new cowboy boots. Boot Barn has a "stinky boot sale" every August where if you bring in your old boots (work or cowboy), you get a certain dollar value off your purchase of a new pair in the store. How could I say no? I already have a brown pair, so I supported the Oregon economy and bought black pair. They go with jeans and they go with work pants (at least that's what the captain tells me). Shoot, they go with everything! Before I forget, let's go back to the jeans for a second. I am not really a jeans kind of girl (that is, buying expensive or flashy ones), but I think the Oregon air brought it out in me. Or it was the smokey air from the fires. I'll blame the latter. The captain convinced me that I needed to buy my first pair of Wranglers. I am not talking old cowboy style Wranglers here. I am talking all girly, fancy, flashy booty, super low rider, kinda Wranglers. I was a little worried they wouldn't fit right, but they did. All of the eating well and working out has been working and I am now in another smaller size. Hooray! Since they fit and looked great, I couldn't say no. Who knew Wrangler's would be so expensive. Damn cowgirls!

booooooots

every cowgirl needs a pair of Wranglers! photo credit: mama Sheri

I can't seem to locate the ones I bought online, but if you want a pair of totally comfy, great pair jeans, check out the other Rock 47 by Wrangler styles online here! I am already counting down to when the captain and I can go back and get another pair. Now if only I can convince him to get a pair too. Not one with sparkles on the booty though. I don't think he'll go for that.

That's all for part one. Here is a sneak peek of what part two will involve:

  1. Three nights of Dave Matthews Band at the Gorge
  2. Making crock pot peach cobbler in the truck. Yes, I said in the truck!
  3. Hanging out with amazing friends and camping at Wildhorse Campground
  4. Wine tasting at Cave B and spending too much money on wine
  5. Being in the pit for Night Two at the Gorge and being ridiculously close to Dave Matthews

And that's just the first week. Hold on tight - there are more adventures to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment