Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Corazón de Pollo

I did something last week that I never, NEVER thought I would ever do in my whole life. I ate a chicken heart! 

I don't know what came over me or why I even decided to do it, but you have to live life on the edge once in awhile, right? My totally amazing friend and co-worker Nancy (I like to call her mama Nancy), told me she was going to bring them in and of course I told her I would eat one.  What was I thinking, right? She said they were delicious and it really didn't sound all that bad. She was marinating the hearts in garlic and soy sauce and then breading them and lightly frying the little hearts. How bad could they be if they were fried? Everything is better fried. Well, most things.

Then came the next day - heart day. I ate one. Only one. I thought I could do two, but I just couldn't. The flavor was chickeny, but a deep, rich chickeny flavor. Think dark meat, but times a thousand. Really rich. That wasn't so bad. The part that really got me was that I was still eating a heart. A boom boom boom heart. It even looked like a heart. I wanted to cut it open, but was told not to. I chewed and chewed and chewed, and it took all my willpower to get it down. That and I kept thinking of the time my grandma cooked giblets in the microwave and she cooked them so long they exploded all over. Way to traumatize a fourth grader, grandma!

I don't know if I will ever eat a heart again (Nancy says they are better fresh, so maybe I will try then), but at least I can cross it off my bucket list now. In fact, I think I might become a vegetarian now. Maybe. Now comes the real question - have any of you eaten a chicken heart?


thump, thump, thump...HEARTS!


 Are you grossed out yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment