Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cornmeal Pancakes

The first time I ever had cornmeal pancakes (aka johnnycakes) was with the captain. If my memory serves me right, the first time he made these for me is when he was still living down in San Luis Obispo and I went to visit him. Ya, I am pretty sure that is when he made them for me. Needless to day, I have been addicted to them ever since and I still only eat them with him. I don't know why I don't eat them without him. Maybe it's just the memories. Awww.

Okay, enough mushiness. Sorry about that.  This cornmeal pancake recipe is so easy, you can throw it all together in just a couple of minutes. Just be warned - it makes a TON of pancakes. Like towers of pancakes. Definitely more pancakes than two people need, but would easily serve a family of four no problem. Maybe even five. Although you can whip these babies up in no time, you can even prep everything the night before or a couple days ahead of time so all you have to do is dump, mix and cook. At least that is what I did. I mixed all the dry ingredients together and then placed them in a mason jar for easy transporting. Then, I also did the same with the wet ingredients. The best part about putting the wet ingredients in the jar is you just pop the lid on and give it a shimmy shake to combine everything. No need to dirty another bowl or a whisk.

If you've never had cornmeal pancakes, you've got to try them. They are smaller than your traditional pancakes and have a corny, slightly gritty texture to them. I can't really explain them. You just have to try them. Seriously. Try them tomorrow. Try them today. Just promise me you'll try them!


ingredients

mason jars filled and ready to go

the captain is mixing

pancakes almost ready to eat

cornmeal pancakes with huckleberry sauce from our trip to Yellowstone!

the captain always makes me a mickey mouse pancake. awwww.

leaning tower of pancakes

Cornmeal Pancakes (www.pioneerwoman.com)

1-1/2 cup Flour
1-1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons Sugar
2-1/4 cups Milk (more If Needed)
2 whole Large Eggs
3 teaspoons Vanilla
4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
Extra Butter For Serving
Maple Or Pancake Syrup For Serving (optional)
 
Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix milk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients, stirring gently.Stir in melted butter. Set batter aside. If batter is overly thick, splash in a small amount of milk.

Heat butter  (or use non-stick spray!) in a skillet over medium-low heat. When heated, drop 1/4 cup batter per pancake and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside. Serve with additional butter (optional) and top with syrup of our choice!


If you end up with loads of extra pancakes here is my tip for you - freeze them in stacks of three or four pancakes for a quick breakfast later in the week. Just stack and either wrap in plastic wrap or place in a ziploc bag. Ready, set, eat breakfast!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment