Friday, March 22, 2013

Butterscotch Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

I think the name of this cookie says it all. Butterscotch pretzel chocolate chip cookies. Oh. My. Goodness. 

There is just something about a cookie. I don't know what it is or why they are so delicious, but cookies are just so perfect. You can eat them plain, you can scoop some ice cream in the middle of two and make a sandwich or you can dunk them in milk. No one way is better than the other and oftentimes the hardest part is just having one! There are a million billion different ways to make a cookie and each one is just as delicious. I'm trying to think of a cookie I've tried and didn't really like. The fact that nothing is coming to mind right now tells me that I like pretty much any cookie. Okay, maybe not an anchovy cookie. Now that just sounds gross. Now, these amazing cookies came along when I saw a friend post a picture of them on Instagram (hiiiiii Kate!). As soon as I saw them, I wiped the drool from my face and that's when I knew I had to make them. I mean, come on. Butterscotch + pretzel + chocolate chips. Talk about sweet and salt cookie heaven!

I don't know how this has come about, but pretty much anytime the captain and I go on a road trip or little getaway, I always make cookies to bring with us. Maybe it's the fact that we I get the hangries (hungry + angry) if I don't eat every four hours or so or maybe it's just that it's now become our thing that I never think twice about not making cookies when we go on a trip. I am going to go with the latter although the captain will probably tell you it's to curb the hangries. The hangries are not pretty, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about that right now. This will tell you how far these cookies go back and how far behind in my posts - I made these cookies last September when we went to the Reno Air Races. If you are counting, that's seven months ago! You don't even want to know how many recipes I have lined up to share with you. It's scary, but I promise to share them all with you! Nevertheless, since we were taking a few hour trip, of course it was time to try a new cookie. There are some cookies I know that the captain loves (aka: my crack cookies), but I wanted to try something new and something different. I am always hearing of cookies with potato chips or popcorn so when I saw cookies with pretzels, I knew I had to make them. I love pretzels! Especially those big soft ones you can dunk in the cheese (my sister is cringing here) at the ballpark. Mmm. But I digress.

My sister was home that weekend to go wedding dress shopping, so I had her help me whip these up so I could bring these to keep the captain and I fueled while walking around the air races and looking at planes. The planes weren't the only things that were going to need fuel to get through the two days! Plus, let's be honest, I knew that planes and cookies would make the captain a very happy man. These cookies are a breeze to make and bake up just like any other chocolate chip cookie. They are soft, slightly crunchy and have the perfect balance of sweet and salty. I don't know about you, but that butterscotch is just so so good. The perfect bite is when you get a little bit of the chips and the pretzel at once. Yum!  Just be warned, these cookies won't last long. That I can almost guarantee. They didn't even last the whole weekend with us!

I'm guessing sugar is in the plastic bag?

crushing up the pretzels
adding the flour in batches

adding in the pretzels

dumping in all the chips before we tried to eat them!

cooooookies

Butterscotch Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup  salted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pretzels
3/4 cup butterscotch chips

3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms and then add in the pretzels, butterscotch chips, and chocolate chips.  Mix just enough to combine all the ingredients. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes. Drop or scoop dough onto a baking sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Press a few more pretzels (or butterscotch chips or chocolate chips) onto the tops for decoration. 

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. The centers should appear very soft and puffy. Let cool completely and enjoy!


You had me at butterscotch.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment