Tuesday, March 12, 2013

No Butter & No Flour Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

I know what you're thinking - no flour and no butter, how can this cookie even be good? Is it even a cookie? Well, let me just tell you, these cookies are AMAZING. They are rich, they are chocolatey, they are fudgy and the best part, they are only 75 calories each! Can you believe it? I was a little skeptical at first because most of the time, lower calorie cookies or treats I try to make don't even taste like they say they will (I know you know what I am talking about here), but these were beyond delicious. Like so good you can't believe they are under 100 calories good. No joke. Even the captain even gave them two thumbs up so you know they must be good!

There is one thing I learned during testing this recipe that I must must must share with you. When I first made these, I whipped the egg whites and then added in the powdered sugar like the recipe said to. Once it mixed for a bit, it looked like marshmallow cream. Again, like the recipe said. I continued to add the ingredients, but for some reason, my batter was not stiff like it said it should be and it really resembled cake batter more than anything. Strange. I though maybe it just needed to mix more. So, I cranked my stand mixer up, but that didn't thicken it up. Dang it. There was something wrong and I was determined to figure it out. I headed back to the store to get more chocolate chips and attempt these cookies again. I was not about to let them defeat me and they looked far too yummy to give up on the first try. So, I separated the eggs again, whipped them up and added the sugar. This time, I thought maaaaaaybe I should let everything whip until the texture was like marshmallow cream instead of looked like marshmallow cream. Maybe I misunderstood the directions the first time, but this seemed to do the trick! The dough turned out super thick and could be rolled into balls instead of being like cake batter. So, when you go to make these, make sure to whip your egg whites and whip them good (you know, like the song?)!

These cookies are the perfect little sweet treat when need something to cure that chocolate craving, make you feel like you are being oh so bad, but will not fill you up with hundreds and hundreds of calories. To be honest, sometimes I even have two. I try not to, but sometimes a girl just needs two cookies! Come on now - two fabulous cookies for only 150 calories? Now that's what I am talking about! Oh and for those doing Weight Watchers and are curious about points, these are three points a cookie (the new points, not the old points). Now what are you waiting for, get in your kitchen and try these cookies today! You won't regret making them. In fact, these may just become your next favorite cookie and you'll ever miss the butter or flour, guaranteed!


chocolate chips are my weakness

dry ingredients. no flour here!

mmm, melted chocolate

soft peaks

add in the pow sugar and whip it good!

this picture was from my first failed attempt. remember to change to the paddle attachment before adding the dry ingredients and chocolate!

roll the dough into balls and coat with the sugar

before...

...after!




No Butter & No Flour Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (slightly adapted from Picklee)

*Makes about 24 cookies


Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
3 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, divided (plus 1/2 cup for cookie coating)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 large  baking sheets with nonstick spray. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly. Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the powdered sugar.  Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow cream - thick and rich, about 10 minutes.

Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using your paddle attachment, on low speed, add dry ingredients into meringue mixture. Mix lukewarm chocolate mixture and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff). Place 1/2 cup sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball. Roll the balls in the sugar sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing about two inches apart.
Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes. Transfer to rack, cool and enjoy!


These super yummy cookies are sure to please just about anybody! Rich and fudgy yummy yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment