Thursday, May 30, 2013

Brownie in a Mug

I tried to convince my sister to do a guest post on my blog about this brownie in a mug, but she wouldn't do it. I tried one other time when we made her super most and ooberly delicious banana bread, but she also said no then too. What is she so scared about? Her exact words were, " I can't write as well as you!". Pshhh. I beg to differ, especially since she's part English major and two years through her PhD program at Berkeley. She's a strange cookie (or should I say brownie), but I love her anyways. Nevertheless, I decided to share this amazingly awesome recipe with you because my sister is pure genius. Pure ooey gooey brownie genius.

I am just going to put this out there before I tell you all that I love about this mug brownie - I don't know if I hate my sister or love her for this recipe. Wait. That sounds kind of mean. Let me explain. This recipe is so darn easy that it's the perfect thing to make when you want a warm and gooey brownie to cure that chocolate craving, but it's also soooo easy to make that it's deadly. I mean, come on - a brownie you can make anytime you practically want? That's so good, but so bad. You know what I mean? Deadly delicious of course. The standard brownie in a mug starts out with your traditional brownie ingredients, but in smaller quantities - a few tablespoons of flour, cocoa powder, sugar, a little oil, water, vanilla and if you are feeling extra wild, you can throw in a small handful of chocolate chips. Chocolate chips make the world a better place. Let's be honest though, you have to use chocolate chips if you have them. It's the best part! You simply mix everything together in the mug (try not to eat all the batter!) and cook in the microwave for one minute. One minute - that's all! One minute to an ooey gooey fresh and warm brownie.

Just think of the endless brownie in a mug combinations you can do (and ones I can't wait to try!):

  • Add crushed pretzels for a salty twist
  • Swirl in some peanut butter
  • Add in some chopped nuts
  • Drizzle with caramel and sea salt
  • Mix in mini marshmallows and almonds for a rocky road brownie
  • Kick it up with a dash of espresso powder
  • Swirl in some fresh raspberry jam and top with berries
  • Add a punch with some fresh orange zest
  • Top it with a scoop of ice cream 

The list could go on and on and I bet by sister would agree too. She is a brownie lover from way back. In fact, brownies may just be her favorite dessert. Wait no. I stand corrected. Brownies are her favorite dessert! And thanks to her, mug brownies may just be my new favorite thing (and may help me get through those long study nights with grad school that are just around the corner!).


60 seconds to pure bliss!


Brownie in a Mug 

4 Tablespoons Flour
4 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Water
Dash of salt

1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons chocolate chips (optional, but so so good)



Add the sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt to the mug and mix. Then add the oil and water and mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Mix well and then stir in chocolate chips or other ingredients, if desired. Place mug in microwave and cook for one minute. When the brownie comes out it will be warm and gooey. Enjoy!


What are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and make a mug brownie tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment