Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mexican "Unfried" Ice Cream

I am always looking for new recipes that are low in calories, but taste totally amazing. Especially desserts. As you know, a lot of the desserts I made are not the lowest in calories, but boy are they delicious. As the captain always tells me, everything in moderation. He's usually right. Wait, no he's always right. I am starting to notice that a lot lately. He's a smart cookie, but we already knew that. Nevertheless, when I find a really great low calorie dessert recipe that looks fabulous, I just have to try it. So, when I saw this recipe for "unfried" ice cream, it was a must make. Plus, it was Cinco de Mayo, so it was kinda a given that I had to try it. Don't you think?

Fried ice cream is really popular in Mexican restaurants, but boy oh boy it is loaded with calories and fat. Have you seen how many calories are in a serving of fried ice cream? I don't even think you want to know, but I will tell you anyways - over 800 calories! 800 calories of deep fried vanilla ice cream that is coated with a cinnamon cereal like coating and then topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I am starting to drool, are you? I sure hope so because I am about to tell you how to make the same sweet treat for only 180 calories a serving. That's right. 180 calories! Even better, it taste just like fried ice cream. If not better. Way better.

To make this "fried" ice cream, you'll only need a few ingredients - non fat vanilla frozen yogurt, rice krispies, cinnamon, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I used rice krispies instead of the recommended Special K cereal, but you could use anything you'd like really. Corn flakes would work well. Chex cereal would also work well, especially if you are trying to go gluten free. Any of those options would work just fine. To start this recipe, you will need to scoop your frozen yogurt into four, 1/2 cup servings and freeze until they are hard. I decided to use fat free Greek vanilla frozen yogurt, but you don't have to go Greek. I just liked the idea of added protein in my dessert! Once the balls are frozen (this takes a few hours), you coat each one in the cinnamon and crushed cereal until they are nice and coated. Really pack it on. This will give it that fried ice cream flavor and texture we all know and love! 

Once the ice cream balls are all coated, you can serve them right away or keep them in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy. When you are ready to serve, drizzle with a little chocolate syrup, a dollop of whipped cream and a fresh cherry, if you have it. When you take your first bite of this "fried" ice cream, you may honestly think you are eating fried ice cream. It's that good! There is just something about that sweet cinnamony crunchy coating. I can't explain it, so you just have to try it. Once you do, this dessert may become a regular on your menu. Unfried ice cream is no longer just for Cinco de Mayo!


This Ciao Bella Adonia greek frozen yogurt is delish!

I tried to make the ice cream nice and round with my hands, but it just ended up melting. Oops.

coating station!

make sure to really press on those "fried" crumbs!

almost too pretty to eat.

Mexican "Unfried" Ice Cream (slightly adapted from SkinnyTaste)

Makes four servings

2 cups fat free vanilla frozen yogurt (I used fat free vanilla Greek frozen yogurt)
2 cups Rice Krispies, crushed
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp chocolate syrup
Cherry for topping (optional)
Whipped cream for topping (optional)


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With an ice cream scooper, scoop out 4 balls of ice cream 1/2 cup in size and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 2 hours, or overnight, until the ice cream is very hard. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the crushed cereal and cinnamon. Using rubber gloves, roll the balls of ice cream in the cereal coating, packing them together into a smooth ball. Return the coated ice cream to the baking sheet and freeze until ready to serve. 

To serve, drizzle with chocolate syrup on top with whipped cream and cherry, if desired.



Unfried ice cream may just be my new favorite way to eat ice cream. That's saying a lot of a lactose intolerant girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment