Sunday, October 19, 2014

Cheesy Olive Bread

Remember that shrimp scampi I shared with you last week? Well, this cheesy olive bread would be the perfect accompaniment to that dish. Even if you don't like olives, you'll like this bread. Trust me. There is something about the olives that when they get mixed with all the other goodness, they mellow out and add a bit of saltiness to the cheesy deliciousness. Have I convinced you to make this bread yet? I hope so. If not, just promise me you'll try it, okay?

Let me first tell you that this bread is not for the faint of heart. It's definitely not low fat or low calorie, but let's be honest, it's all about moderation. Plus, if you eat this bread with a big salad (which I would totally do), you won't feel so guilty. At least that's what I tell myself. It works most of the time. Until I eat too much of this bread. Boy is it addicting. Like can't stop eating addicting. This bread starts of with your favorite bread of course. You can use french, sourdough or any kind of loaf bread you like. I used whole wheat french bread, but you can use whatever tickles your fancy. Then comes the goodness topping. You may want to sit down for this. Are you ready? You'll need olives (both black and green), mayo, butter, green onions and Monterey jack cheese You'll mix everything together and then slather (yes, I said slather) the bread with the mixture. Make sure you pile it nice and high too. The higher, the better.

At this point, you can throw the bread straight into the oven and bake or you can be like me and cook half now and freeze half later. If you want to save half (or more) for another time, place the uncooked bread in the freezer on a plate. Once the bread is frozen, wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag. The quick freeze step before wrapping will prevent the plastic wrap from sticking to the olive and cheese mixture. When you are ready to enjoy, there is no need to defrost. Just pop the bread in the oven and bake until bubbly and brown. This bread is so addicting and a great change up from your go to garlic bread. Here's something you might not want me to tell you, but you can even use the topping as a dip for crackers. I am telling you, it's the best thing ever. Well, not as good as my mom's olive dip, but pretty darn close. Whether you eat it on bread, crackers or with a spoon, you will soon be addicted too.



warning - no low fat ingredients here

look at all those olives!

I could eat this with a spoon. No joke.

slather all that cheesy olive goodness on the bread

brown, bubbly and delicious.

Cheesy Olive Bread (Pioneer Woman)

1 loaf French Bread
6 ounces, weight Pimiento-stuffed Green Olives
6 ounces, weight Black Olives
2 stalks Green Onions (scallions)
1 stick Butter, Room Temperature
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
3/4 pounds Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated 



Roughly chop both black olives and pimiento-stuffed green olives. Slice green onions into thin pieces. Combine butter, mayonnaise, cheese, olives and green onions in a mixing bowl. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture onto French bread that has been sliced lengthwise. Bake at 325ºF for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning. 



So good. So delicious. So addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment