Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Creamy Lime Pie

The original recipe for this was titled key lime pie, but I can not lie to you all. I did not use key limes. Are you kidding? Who wants to juice those tiny little things? Not me. And I didn't have the heart to use bottled key lime juice. Fresher is better when it comes to citrus juice. At least that's my opinion. You don't have to listen to me though. If you want to go key lime crazy here, let me give you a hint - key limes can be hard to find if you don't live in an area that grows them or has them in stock regularly. If you really want to use bottled juice, check out your local liquor store. I am almost certain they will have it there. Just trust me here. I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Now, back to pie. This sweet, tangy, creamy pie is a great change up from my normal desserts. Which usually consist of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Can you tell I like chocolate? It's always nice to change things up and make something different. This creamy lime pie couldn't be easier to throw together and have ready for dessert in under 30 minutes. Of course you need to be patient while it cools, but getting it all ready is a piece of cake. Wait. A piece of pie. That make more sense.

This pie first starts off with a killer crumb crust. I am still learning to master the crumb crust (I am not sure why this still gets me from time to time), but I figure I will get it just right someday. Someday soon I hope. Once you have the crumb crust ready, you'll bake it for a few minutes to firm up and brown up. Just a bit though. Don't overdo it here. You don't want burnt crust. Now that's just gross. While the crumb crust is cooling, you'll want to make the filling. All you'll need is a handful of limes for zest and juice, a couple of egg yolks and one can of sweetened condensed milk. I could eat the latter straight from the can. I did not just tell you that. It's really good though. Just not good for my waistline. Here is a tip when zesting citrus- always zest before you squeeze. If you squeeze and then zest, you'll have a heck of a time zesting since the skins will be all wobbly. It's not a good thing. So, just remember, zest then squeeze! Once you have all the filling ingredients ready, mix together, pour into the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes until the filling is firm.

Now, when the pie is all baked, you'll need to let it cool for at least at hour. Longer is better just so it can get nice and chilled. Of course you can serve the pie room temperature if you just can't wait (because it smells so darn good!), but cooled is my preferred way. That and with a huge heap of whipped cream. Now we are talking. This creamy lime pie will make you pucker with love and joy. It's that good.

Not pictured - eggs

butter + crumbs + sugar = love

zest before you squeeze

mmm, sweetened condensed milk


cooked, cooled and ready to enjoy!


Creamy Lime Pie (Pioneer Woman)


18 whole Graham Crackers (the 4-section Large Pieces)
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Butter, Melted
1 Tablespoon (heaping) Lime Zest
1/2 cup Lime Juice
2 whole Egg Yolks
1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

For the crust:
Crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.


For the filling:
Mix lime zest, lime juice, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.


Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour—more if possible. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest. 


So creamy. So delicious. So refreshing!


No comments:

Post a Comment