Saturday, October 11, 2014

Shrimp Scampi

If you are anything like me and are busier than busy these days, you don't want to spend an hour in the kitchen after a long day. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but sometimes I am just too pooped. So, in comes a quick and easy 15 minute meal. Yes, you heard me right. 15 minutes. Now that is what I am talking about.

I will be the first to admit that I always forget about shrimp. I love it, but it usually doesn't cross my mind as my first protein option. I am not sure why. It's delicious and quick cooking, which makes it perfect for this 15 minute meal. To make this delicious and easy meal, you'll need the following (you probably already have most of it, minus the shrimp):

shrimp
lemon (lots of it!)
white wine (don't drink it all yet)
parsley
a little butter (I cut this down so it was a bit lighter - you'll never know though!)
onion
garlic (duh, got to have this!)
pasta

Before you start cooking the shrimp, make sure to start a pot of water boiling. This part takes the longest. Seriously. Just don't stare at the pot because a watched pot never boils. You've heard that, right? Now, I am not a big pasta eater (only because I could eat too much of it in one sitting), but I do enjoy it from time to time. For this recipe, I like to use angel hair pasta. It's not too heavy and cooks in just a few minutes. Which makes it even better for this quick meal. See where I am going with this? Now, while the water is boiling, you'll want to melt down the butter and cook up the onion and garlic. Just until it's soft. Don't go burning it. That's never a good thing. By this point, your water should be boiling. Add the pasta and let it do it's thing for a few minutes. Once the onion and garlic are softened, add your shrimp. These should only take 3-5 minutes to cook. You'll know when they are done when they are pink and have curled up. When the shrimp are ready to go, add the lemon, wine and if you are feeling spicy, add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes. Mix everything together and then add your pasta.

If you want the dish to have a bit more of a saucy consistency, add some of the starchy pasta water. I know it sounds strange, but just go with me here. Throw in the parsley and you are ready to enjoy your dish. If you are feeling extra adventurous, you can add in a bit of lemon zest and parmi cheese. I know the cheese part sounds odd, especially with shrimp, but it adds a little something something. If you have it, add it. If not, then that's okay too. No matter how you serve it, I am willing to bet that you will love it. And so will anyone you serve it to. No one will ever think this only took you 15 minutes to make. Serve with a big salad and a glass of white wine and you are good to go. Quick. Easy. Delicious.

how can you go wrong with those ingredients?

lemony lemons

nothing smells better than garlic and onions

add the shrimp (don't forget to salt and pepper them!)

then add the lemon juice and wine - two musts!

looks like it took longer than 15 minutes to make, right?


Shrimp Scampi (slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman)

2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
4 cloves Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1 pound Large Shrimp, Peeled And de-veined
1/2 cup White Wine
2 whole Lemons
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces, weight Angel Hair Pasta
Chopped Fresh Parsley, To Taste
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, optional

Boil water for pasta before you start anything else. You want this ready to go!

Heat olive oil and melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for two or three minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add shrimp, then stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice. Add wine, butter, salt and pepper, and pepper flakes. Stir and reduce heat to low. 

Throw angel hair pasta into the boiling water. Cook until just about done. Drain pasta, reserving a cup or two of the pasta water (if needed). Remove skillet from heat and then add pasta and toss, adding a splash of pasta water if it needs to be thinned. Taste for seasonings, adding salt and pepper if needed. Top with grated parmi cheese, minced parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!


Who knew shrimp could be so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment