Sunday, November 16, 2014

Roasted Parmesan Green Beans

I am always looking for ways to get more veggies into my diet. I will be the first to admit that although I love big salads, I may not always get as many veggies in as I would like. Veggies make great healthy and quick side dishes and I am always looking for new ways to spice them up. Figuratively, not literally. Steamed veggies are boring and there is only so much grilled zucchini and squash that this girl can eat. And I love zucchini. That tells you how much of it I am willing to eat. Nevertheless, when I came across this roasted green bean recipe, I knew I had to try it.

My usual go to green bean recipe is pretty simple - steamed green beans tossed in lemon juice and slivered almonds. Simple, fresh and delicious. There is something about the sound of roasted green beans though. Don't you think. You can't really get easier than tossing green beans in olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and then popping in the oven for ten minutes or so. This recipe is really once of those toss and forget it kind of recipes. Although, don't really forget about it in the oven because then you'll end up with burnt green beans and not roasted. I've never had burnt green beans, but I can't imagine they are very good. Once the green beans have had about ten minutes to bake, give them a shimmy shake to turn them all around and give all the sides an opportunity to get brown and yummy. After another five minutes of baking, remove the beans from the oven and toss with a bit of fresh parmi so that all the beans are coated with a bit of the cheese. At this point, you can eat them straight from the pan as a snack or add them as a side dish to one of your favorite meals. Let me just say that these green beans are totally addicting and are so easy to make that you may want to consider adding this dish to your holiday menus. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and this would be a great way to change up your green bean dish from the traditional casserole (boy are those onion things on top totally addicting!). 



you may never go back to eating steamed green beans ever again!


Roasted Parmesan Green Beans (SkinnyTaste)

12 oz green beans, trimmed (make sure they are dry)
2 tsp olive oil
kosher salt + fresh cracked pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp shredded parmesan


Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum for easy clean-up.
Lay green beans out on the baking sheet and drizzle oil over them. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and toss to evenly coat. Spread them out on the sheet so that they all lay flat and place on the lower third section of your oven. Bake 10 minutes, shake the pan to turn; bake 5 additional minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheese


Green beans may never be the same again!


No comments:

Post a Comment